Wednesday, February 25, 2009

You Know What they Say About Women with Long Necks?

Sorry for the gap in between posts, I've been on the move alot and have not been around many computers. I took a side trip from Pai on a motor bike all the way to Mae Hong Son, in the north west corner of Thailand. In Mae Hong Song I went to see the famous Padaung Longneck villagers of the Karen hilltribe. I'm sure most of you have seen atleast a picture of these villagers, who's claim to fame is the long, heavy brass coils roped around their necks. It was really interesting to see all of them in their environment. Me and a mate were the only foreigners for miles, and it was unreal how primitive their lives actually were. We walked around their village and snapped some shots, tried to communicate with them as best as we could. They were quite friendly and in favor of all photo ops.

I just got into Chang Rai, and have officially entered the Golden Triangle, a historical area reknown for it's opium transport. For now, I'll stick to just adding sugar to my oatmeal.

3 comments:

  1. Max! All your posts make me smile. I'm so glad that you are having such a wonderful time! I love that you have this blog and are keeping up with it. I've read all your posts and check up on your regularly. Continue your amazing journey, and I'll continue to live vicariously through you! I sent you an online birthday card...did you get it? I thought it would make you laugh. Also, this fellow Amit...he didn't happen to study in Budapest did he...? LOVE YOU MAX!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loved the card Em-dawg, very creative... and I am not sure about Amit's education situation

    ReplyDelete