Thursday, February 5, 2009

Prostitution... An Equal Opportunity Employer

Two nights ago, I was propositioned by two deaf hookers. Basically, we communicated by typing back and forth on their phone. They were very nice at first, just making "conversation". I actually found them quite interesting, as I had never had a dialogue with a deaf person before. Then it became obvious that they were looking for some money in exchange for their company.

As morally reprehensible as prositution is, I walked away feeling very proud of the deaf hookers. It takes alot of courage, dedication, extra effort, and desire for a person to succeed in an industry, sport, and/or job that isn't suited for them. In this case, I guess that would hold true for prostitutes that are deaf. In a sex industry that requires conversing, flirting, and maybe even a bit of convincing... these girls found a way. They weren't going to let their situation derail their dreams... they found a way.

I told them, "Sorry, but I can't", then realized they couldn't hear me... so I typed it to them on their phone.

1 comment:

  1. Great post.

    They didn't quite "find a way" with you.

    Sign of the times...I bet deaf hookers didn't use phones before txt...they just had to shout and hope for the best.

    ReplyDelete