Monday, February 16, 2009

It's Much Better on Top

Yesterday Corto and I took motorbikes and cruised all the way to Thailand's highest point, Doi Inthanon. At 2,565 meters high, Mount Inthanon is home to more than 4000 native tribespeople, surrounded by peaks, valleys, and rice fields. Along the way were four waterfalls, which were nice, but peanuts compared to the two monsters I've had the pleasure of seeing. The ride took all day, as the mountain was about 70 miles away, plus a 35 mile drive up.

After getting back into the Chang Mai area, we went on the biggest tourist attraction yet. The Chang Mai Night Safari is a zoo on wheels of sorts, where an open sided bus takes you into a built up reserve filled with all kinds of animals. There were only cages for the dangerous animals like tigers and lions, so the cool part was being so close to the more gentile animals like zebras and giraffes without having barricades between us. Although I try to stay away from the tourist trail, some of it you just gotta do.

Below is a picture of me at the top of Doi Inthanon and another one of the coolest sunset I've ever seen, taken at the base of the mountain. The quality is poor, I know, and I just figured out why... so it won't be like that anymore.

















3 comments:

  1. For how long are you going to be in Thailand?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Max...completely jealous that you're off traveling in an exotic country while i'm slugging away at school in freezing Montreal! Everything looks and sounds amazing, definitely a place i hope to get to before i die.

    I'm detecting a disturbing pattern here, though...Max + Irish/Scottish girls = little hope of continuing the Meisel family name. I think i can relate somewhat, had an interesting experience with an Irish girl in Prague when i was there.

    btw, when you finally return you're welcome to come up here for a few days and chill. Montreal is a great city, escpecially in the summer....and i promise you, very attractive girl + French accent = unbelievably attractive girl!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Steve, I'll be in Thailand probably about 2 1/2 or three months. I'm gonna train Muay Thai for a while

    ReplyDelete