Sunday, February 15, 2009

Chang Mai

First off, Happy Valentine's Day, happy birthday Aunt Daryl, and happy birthday to me! Yes, I am 23... mom, come on, fight those tears.

I have been in Chang Mai for the past few days, and it really is a fantastic city. Set in the north of Thailand, Chang Mai is a small city surrounded by mountains and hills, and is a great jumping point for trekking, hiking, and outdoor sports. It is a very eclectic city with a hip, young flare, and is alot of fun to walk around in, mainly because of it's Venice-like alley ways that bring you to little eateries and bars tucked away from the hustle and bustle. There is a variety of style and culture, a mix of international cuisine, and some of Thailand's richest history. Corto the Frenchmen and I are staying in a brand new hostel, so it's super clean and neat, has a hot shower (great commodity), and it costs all of $3.

The majority of Chang Mai's sightseeing is temples, but some of Thailand's tallest mountains are just miles away, and trekking tours are also popular. We've spent a few days doing the intra-city stuff, so tomorrow and the next few days will involve a motorbike and the mountains.

My birthday was a typical sight seeing day, followed by a club that night. It was my first legit night of going out since I've been in Thailand, so we had a good time.

Alot of you have asked me about pictures, and now that I'm almost three weeks into my trip, I'll begin putting them into albums for your viewing pleasure... Adios!

2 comments:

  1. Damn dude, happy belated. Sorry for forgetting.

    I never thought your trip to Thailand would be this serious, but it is. I am deeply enthralled in your expedition and am anxiously awaiting every next step. I'm currently trying to convince my lady friend that upon her graduation we do this backpacking immediately.

    Thanks for the posts and I told you, Chang Mai is absolutely beautiful.

    I don't know if you will make it, but if you can (and I'm sure you will) make it down south to Trang.

    I am sure there are plenty of other great beach places down south that offer the same exact "escape from reality" perspective, but I promise you, it's one of a kind.

    Thanks for everything Max. Looks amazing.

    Steve

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yo brotha... good to hear from you... yea man the trip is really going well. I've spent 5 weeks up north and now I'm about to go down south for some sun.

    ReplyDelete