Thursday, February 5, 2009

Just Dig a Little Deeper

Finally, me and Tim arrived at Erawan Waterfall! We rode the equivalent of Westport to NYC on motorbikes to a 7-tiered water-runner with a great hike up each fall. At the top, I climbed up a bit further where there was no safe public access, and found an even better, more beautiful eighth waterfall. A small fall sandwiched between two giant boulders, at first glance seems like nothing more than water flowing over rocks. But as I jumped in and swam closer, I found a small crevice in between the enourmous boulders, which lead to a giant cave behind and underneath the waterfall. Where no person goes and with nothing to deflower it, I was swimming in the bluest, clearest, purest water. The cave's pool was very deep and naturally spherical, with little ledges to sit on so that I could look out through the waterfall to where "the rest of the world" was. It was one of the most amazing natural wonders I'd ever seen, and it was impossible to carry my camera with me.

After that, Tim and I camped out at the base of the waterfall. We had a tent at the foot of the river and lucky for us, had the entire park to ourselves. All of the park bungalows were empty, and the camp site was a ghost town. We cruised around the park on our motor bikes like kids in a candy store, no one to tell us what to do. When night came, the only light we had was the moon and my head lamp that I thought I'd never use (thank you Eli, Sterling). We brought tiny speakers to plug in our i-pods, and it was absolute tranquility, having nothing but the sounds of the river and nature be the only soundtrack the entire night. We did all you could do... just chill... Tim read his book, I wrote in mine.

No comments:

Post a Comment