Tuesday, March 24, 2009

La Pura Vida

I was riding in the back of a pick up truck, my shirt was off, the sun was gleaming off my back. Matt rented a truck for the week, which made moving around alot easier on this not so small island. We just got done visiting a waterfall and were on our way to check out a new beach, when this thought popped into my head:

This is the life that I get to live right now: I go to an island and find the best beach I possibly can. I stay until I'm bored, and when I've had my fill I pack my bags, bring along my new friends, and find a new paradiso. Then I get to repeat the process all over again. The fact that I sleep on the beach for practically pennies sure helps the situation. Could I have drawn this up any better for myself?

Now, beach bumming isn't for everyone, I understand that. But you can call me a homeless crackhead if you please, because I am more than happy being a bum on a beach. The temples were great up north, I've had more than a solid dose of culture. But after four or five temples they begin to look the same. But throw me through a plethora of beaches and I can find something distinct, unique, and uncommon about every single one of them. Not perfect for everyone, just perfect for me.

I saw my first Muay Thai fight last night. These dudes are serious athletes, let me tell you. I don't understand fully all the guidelines and techniques, but I know that it's mostly a kick-driven fight because kicks earn more points than a punch. I got to hang out with a Brazilian fighter afterwards because his girlfriend is one of the people we've been hanging with all week, and I really developed an admiration for the lifestyle. A few weeks ago, I extended my visa for another month so that I can set aside two to three weeks to train at a Muay Thai camp after I'm done touring the south. I really hope I have enough time because it's something I've been itching to do ever since I was up in Pai hanging with a group of fighters.

1 comment: