Thursday, March 26, 2009

The Beach

I just finished reading the book, "The Beach", which was the original story set for the movie starring Leonardo DiCaprio. If you haven't seen it, you must! It's a great story about a traveller finding this picture perfect beach unknown to everyone except a select few that have set up camp and made their lives there. Personally, I liked the movie alot better because you're reading about this beach for two hundred pages and its supposed to be as beautiful as the mind can imagine, but you can't see the damn thing. Also, the ending in the book is way different than the movie's ending, as it follows more of a "Lord of the Flies" pattern. But it was still a good read, and it was really cool to be able to relate and know all of the places they travelled through on their way to get to the beach. In both the book and movie, they took off from Ko Samui for a protected Marine Park made up of a bunch of uninhabited, protected islands. I really wanted to do the same, but it's much easier to accomplish in the land of make believe.

Kevin left for Cambodia yesterday, so the Ko Phangan crew is officially dismantled. But it's alright, as travelling friends come and go.

I can't believe I'm at my 8 week mark already. The time has not gone by fast at all, but looking back on it it seems like I just landed in Bangkok and it was snowing when I left NY in January. I've really enjoyed keeping this blog. At first, I thought it was just a great way to avoid repeating the same stories and activities to everyone and anyone who wanted to know. It was a good way to keep loved ones in the loop. It still is, but now it's taken somewhat of a different turn, as it's enabled me to keep developing my craft as a writer. It's really all I got, as I don't have a stage to tell jokes and I don't have any script writing programs. So keep reading, and I'll keep writing.

You learn to appreciate cover bands while you're over here, mainly because of this...

1 comment:

  1. Haha When are they making an appearance at the Garden?

    ReplyDelete