Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Are You into Mooning?

I haven't changed my clothes in four days. I haven't slept in a hotel in three. I've showered once in 72 hours. It began in Chiang Mai, at the top of the country. It has ended with me on the tiny island of Ko Phangan on the eastern side of Thailand's strip of islands. In between the beginning and the end was a nine hour overnight bus to Bangkok, followed by a twelve hour over night train to Surat Thani, followed by a two hour pick up truck ride to the pier, followed by a three hour ferry to Ko Phangan. 830 miles later, I've reached the first of many island paradises. Ko Phangan is famous for it's legendary Full Moon Parties, thrown on each full moon, once a month. People get trippy, people dance all night, and people do everything they want to do at home but can't because of legalities. A solid analogy would be similar to Amsterdam on a white sandy beach with crystal clear waters, minus the red light district. 2-3 people die every Full Moon Party. Grandma, don't worry, I'll be so tired from swimming all day that I'll be in bed no later than 11:30. The party is not until the 10th, but you need to get here well before if you want any shot of a place to stay.
It's been a fun five weeks up north. I've done some great hiking, solid trekking, temple touring, motor biking, and overall a very non-touristy, cultural experience. But now I need some beach, and Thailand has some of the world's best. But don't yawn just yet all you beach haters and/or pasty whites (you know who you are), there's plenty to do off the beach down here as well.
Track my progress under my 'links' section... I've been covering some ground!

2 comments: