Sunday, May 17, 2009

More Kuta

I've been surfing like crazy the last few days. Boards just cost a couple of bucks for the whole day, so I've been going into the water with them three or four times a day. It's awesome. Part of the reason why Kuta is so much fun is because of the way people meet each other. There's a group of steps outside of a convenient store. They're on a busy side street, but there's nothing special about these steps. But for some reason, the steps are the main meet up spot for everyone before the night gets going. Whether you are traveling by yourself or traveling with five friends, you go to the steps, meet a bunch of new people, then go to the clubs together and have a great time. So over the course of a few days, I've gotten to meet a lot of really cool people and constantly have mates to hang out with.

While I was in Sydney, my hair was looking pretty ratty and something needed to be done. I went to the barber and I told him to work his magic. He told me he wanted to give me a mohawk and I said, "No problem." Okay don't freak out Grandma, it isn't the mohawk you're thinking of. I guess by American standards it called a fo-hawk. Its just cut in such a way that has it shorter on the sides and longer in the middle, but it's not a legit mohawk. One guy I met from Toronto, Josh, has a legit mohawk, shaven all around and longer in the middle. So since he's got the mohawk and I've got the fo-hawk, we call ourselves the MoFo Combo. I guess it's one of those, "You had to be there situations."

On a more serious note, a night club here in Kuta Beach got bombed by Muslim terrorists a few years back. The site is just a couple minutes walk from my hostel, and a lot of people from a lot of different countries were killed. The attack was directed at Westerners, and the majority of people killed were Australian. In place of the night club, which obviously got destroyed, is a memorial with all the names of people killed and their home country.

Below is a clip of The Steps... a great place to start the night!

No comments:

Post a Comment