Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Wanna Throw Up? Get Me Naked.

Wow boys and girls, lots of updates. After my canoe adventures in Ko Muk, I spent a night and a day in Ko Lanta. And I have to admit... I splurged on my hotel. I couldn't deal with slumming it in tents and shacks anymore, so I spent $7 on a nice big bungalow with my own shower and a Western toilet! I know, living life in the fast lane is tough. But anyway, Ko Lanta was nice, but nothing special, so I high tailed it to Ko Phi Phi, one of the most visited, one of the most expensive, and one of the most storied islands in Thailand.

If you've ever seen pictures of a Thai beach, chances are it was a beach in Ko Phi Phi. However, this little island was hit by the 2004 tsunami as hard as any other place in the country. Waves 20 feet high wiped out everything on this island, from the most densely packed tourist areas to the little five star resorts on quiet beaches. Millions of dollars were lost and thousands were killed, and I didn't really understand the tragedy until I talked to a Thai man who told me about how he lost everything. He was sleeping when it happened and lost everything he owned, including his girlfriend. But, like everyone else on the island, they rebuilt and slowly moved on. However, one would figure that after the tsunami hit they would learn to care for their land a bit better. This tiny island couldn't keep up with the rapid building process, and according to most people, the place looks the exact same as it did prior to the tsunami in terms of infrastructure. So, of course, the main beaches of Ko Phi Phi have been ruined by boats, boats, and more boats. The color of the water is outstanding, which is a surprise despite the motor oil seeping into the ocean.

But Adventurous Max wasn't going to let some boats ruin his island paradise. Yesterday I walked, walked, and walked some more. I climbed hills, jumped over rocks, and traversed through the jungle, and eventually stumbled upon a beach hidden from people, development, and BOATS! The only thing on the beach was a small bungalow in the corner, and a couple of local villagers and their huts. This beach was just what I was looking for... deserted white sand with turquoise waters, no boats, and no people.

This island is extremely expensive, and luckily, one place has a 16-bed dorm room, which is a savior for a backpacker on a budget. At first I wasn't too keen on the idea of sleeping with fifteen strangers, but it really is a cool experience. You make friends right away, talk to people non-stop, and go on new adventures. I met two people from the states in my dorm which is half the amount of people from the states I've met in 10 weeks here. I slept in a bed next to a girl from the Lower East Side and hung with a dude from Corpus Christi. People come in and out all the time and it really is a great way to meet people. I am, of course, taking every precaution against being robbed. My bag is chain locked to the bed and all my zippers are pad locked.
Tomorrow I am off on a new adventure to an island just a mile away. I don't want to give away the details yet, as it will be a great post to follow... but I am going to the beach where the movie "The Beach" was filmed. This is my trip right here, what sparked my interest in Thailand. I hope the way in which I am doing this adventure tomorrow goes as planned... Until next time!


No comments:

Post a Comment