Friday, June 12, 2009

Southern Lombok

Hey lads and ladies! Sorry if I made some of you nervous with my absence of posts lately. I just got done visiting the southern part of Lombok, an island about 50 miles east of Bali. The area barely had running water. I did a nice motorbike tour, hopping beach to beach across the southern region of a town also called Kuta, but on Lombok island.

The beaches in Thailand were amazing, but they have all been found. These beaches in southern Lombok have perfecto white sand, with waters so clear you could snorkel without goggles... and there's nothing on them... no people, no hotels, no nothin'! It was like a dream come true. Lombok is a very underdeveloped island, especially in the south. But there was just beach after beach with jaw dropping characteristics all day long, and I had all of them to myself. I swam naked for an hour in broad daylight with no one to bother me. What more could ya want?

Unfortunately, this region will not remain like this for long. A Dubai based company just poured $800 million into the area to build a Ritz Carlton right on the beach picture below, and extending it three beaches down. Construction will begin in April and should be finished in a decade. Although I am sad at the thought of this magically untouched group of beaches being built upon, I am really happy that I was able to answer my question of whether or not there are still world class beaches not yet bitten by the development bug. And the answer is yes.

No comments:

Post a Comment