Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Grindin'

I wanted to just chill in Kuta my last couple of days but the biggest swell in two years just hit Ulu Watu, so I had to motor bike down there to check it all out. These waves were absolutely insane, I've never seen anything like it before. The guys that were riding these waves over razor sharp coral have some serious balls.

Yesterday I went back up to Ubud to do some shopping for authentic Balinese stuff. I've been proud of myself that for all the motorbiking I've done this trip, I hadn't had one accident or crashed or anything. Well, I thought too soon. I had to stop short, and I slammed on the front brake, a bad idea. The bike skidded out from under me and I bounced around and around and around the concrete. Luckily, just a bunch of scrapes, but in the worst freakin' places, man. I got a cut on my ass that makes me cry when I lay down. The bike, surprizingly, was okay.

It's hard to make out how big a wave is through a picture, but just look at how small the surfer is compared to the wave he is riding (click on the picture to enlarge it). The other picture is from Padang Padang Beach, another storied surf spot just north of Ulu's.

No comments:

Post a Comment